Child safety is important to us. With recent new legislation (February 2014) our blinds now have additional safety features to ensure that there is no choking or strangulation hazard to children. There are two modifications which will be made on all blinds from 28th February 2014.
1. The chain loops supplied to control the blinds will be supplied so they hang no lower than 1500mm off the floor and included will be appropriate safety cleats for you to fix the bottom of the chain loop. These have been supplied with the blinds for some time now but it is now compulsory for the customer to fit them on installation.
2. The cords on the back of the blind will either be supplied at spacings which do not need safety devices OR we will supply the blind complete with safety release catches designed so that the cord separates under a load of 6kg.
These features ensure that the blinds comply with the new British Standard BS EN 13120. For more details see our suppliers information page.
We offer a retrofit scheme for older blinds for our existing customers. Contact email@example.com if you have any concerns or would like to have your blinds modified. We advise all previous customers to ensure they have fitted the safety catches provided. If existing blinds are accessible by young children please consider using our retrofit service.
Safety cord release on back of blind, how it works:
More information from ROSPA.
- Do not place a child’s cot, bed, playpen or high chair near a window so they may reach a blind cord
- Do not place furniture near a window that a child could climb on to reach a blind cord
- Do make sure that a safety device is fitted to keep the cords taut or out of reach
Please note we can supply retrofit safety devices as well – don’t take a chance, make it safe!